Installation shots of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 Hone exhibitions
Elizabeth and MacGregor Hone, better known as Beth and Mac, were two prolific artists with an exceptional creative output who were active in Saskatchewan during the second half of the 20th century. In 2015, their son David Hone and son-in-law Jim Hall made the incredibly generous donation of over 2000 artworks of Mac and Beth Hone to the Mann Art Gallery in recognition of Mac having been born in Prince Albert. Today the Hone Collection accounts for almost half of the Gallery's permanent collection and forms the backbone of our holdings and has been the basis of multiple exhibitions. On this webpage you can learn more about the Hones, see some of their works from the Permanent Collection, and study the exhibitions the Mann Art Gallery has hosted of their work. In recognition of the exceptional breadth of these two artists and the size of their holdings within our Permanent Collection (almost 2,000 artworks), the Mann Art Gallery has dedicated a number of exhibitions to the Hone Collection over the last four years.
McGregor (Mac) Hone was born in Prince Albert in 1920. He received a Bachelor of Arts and a Certificate in Education from the University of Saskatchewan. He also attended Artist Workshops at Emma Lake in 1937, 1938, 1955, and 1975. During the Second World War Mac welded victory ships in North Vancouver and taught at Copper Mountain. At this time he met Beth; they married in 1944 and moved back to Saskatchewan in 1947. For the next three decades Mac taught and developed innovative high school arts programs at Central Collegiate in Regina. His art practice remained active throughout his life. The diversity in media, styles, and subject is a reflection of his numerous interests, activities, and travels throughout the world.
Elizabeth (Beth) Hone was born in Halkirk, Alberta in 1918, and received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto in 1941. She studied ceramics at the School of Art in Farnham, England, before teaching this subject at the Regina College School of Art from 1959-66. While in Regina, she also operated a studio with the artist Ann James in the early 1970s. Beth met her husband McGregor in Saskatoon, and together they raised two children, travelled extensively, were active citizens in the communities of Regina and Lumsden. Beth was dedicated to the Unitarian congregation, and this manifests her work as she explores spirituality and faith with an emphasis on female deities.